Speaking about anxiety is never an easy subject to talk about. It is a dark subject that many people struggle with and typically feel alone when describing it to others. At times it can feel as though others will not or cannot understand the difficulties that it comes with. Here at Neurosciences Medical Clinic, we are here to shed some light on many conditions of anxiety. Located in Miami, we specialize in anxiety treatment.
A Touchy Subject
Something many people may not be aware of is the fact that there are many types of anxiety. Many people with anxiety experience symptoms of more than one type of anxiety condition, and may experience depression as well. It is important to seek support early if you are experiencing anxiety. Your symptoms may not go away on their own, and if left untreated, they can start to take over your life. We are here to provide an individual experiencing symptoms, the best anxiety treatment.
Most Common Types Of Anxiety
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- An individual feels anxious most days. They tend to worry about lots of different things for a period of six months or more.
- Social Anxiety
- An individual has an intense fear of always being criticized, embarrassed, or humiliated. This is even in an everyday situation. This can include speaking in public, eating in public, being assertive at work, or even making small talk.
- Specific Phobias
- A person feels very fearful about a particular object or situation and may go to great lengths to avoid it, for example, having an injection or traveling on a plane. There are many different types of phobias.
- Panic Disorder
- A person has panic attacks, which are intense, overwhelming and often uncontrollable feelings of anxiety combined with a range of physical symptoms. Someone having a panic attack may experience shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, and excessive perspiration. Sometimes, people experiencing a panic attack think they are having a heart attack or are about to die. If a person has recurrent panic attacks or persistently fears to have one for more than a month, they’re said to have panic disorder.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- An individual has ongoing unwanted/intrusive thoughts and fears that cause anxiety. Although the person may acknowledge these thoughts as silly, they often try to relieve their anxiety by carrying out certain behaviors or rituals. For example, a fear of germs and contamination can lead to constant washing of hands and clothes.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- This can happen after a person experiences a traumatic event (e.g. war, assault, accident, disaster). Symptoms can include difficulty relaxing, upsetting dreams or flashbacks of the event, and avoidance of anything related to the event. PTSD is diagnosed when a person has symptoms for at least a month.
If you ever feel as if you are experiencing one of the conditions stated above, we have many ways to get you the treatment you need. We also know how to get rid of the symptoms. We are experts dedicated to anxiety treatment for the several types of anxiety. Neurosciences Medical Clinic is located conveniently in Miami. Call us today for more information.