According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) Report of Asthma, in 2019 each day, ten Americans die from asthma, and in 2017, 3,564 people died from asthma. Many of these deaths are avoidable with proper treatment and care. The team at IMIC Medical Research wanted you to have a list of things that may trigger deathly Asthma attacks if you live here in Miami. The CDC estimates that about 1 in 13 Americans have Asthma and with that, one should know what is good and not good for Asthma patients.
- Humidity! The number one issue Asthma patients have in Miami is the humidity levels. The humidity levels rise and fall in a high frequency and with a wide range. The humidity levels alone can cause a terrible Asthma attack. It is important to have a humidity level indicator in the house. Make sure that the Air Conditioning system can control the humidity levels so that there is a safe zone if it gets too humid outside. The same goes for the car, make sure that you can set the levels so that the humidity can be controlled.
- Air Quality!! Make sure that you test the air quality or the places you frequent like your home, work and other homes you visit frequently. This will allow you to know if there is a high-risk area that you must avoid or if you need to have filters installed in your home or if mold must be removed from somewhere in order to obtain a high air quality level. Asthma attacks happen when there are triggers that obstruct the air ways so it is important to make sure that the air you breathe has enough quality that it will not affect your breathing.
- After the month of April, one must be aware of high pollen areas. Here in Miami, we have a lot of flowers and foliage and there is a significant amount of pollen n the air when Spring starts in Miami. Even though Miami is a great city to be outdoors, it is important to note high pollen areas and stay away from them during the Spring and Summer months. These areas will include the Florida Everglades, Key Biscayne, any Homestead area event and the Coconut Grove area. If you are in those areas, please make sure you have a plan B in case you suffer an attack and make sure you have an emergency plan if you suffer an acute Asthma attack.
- Cigarette Smoke! One thing that may cause an acute Asthma attack is cigarette smoke. Second hand smoke or even being in an area with a rug or curtains that are around smoke are dangerous to someone with a sensitive pulmonary system. When renting a hotel room or if you are in a space frequently, make sure that it is smoke free 24/7 and not just at times.
- Pet Dander. It seems like everyone has a pet and everyone must take their pet everywhere these days. That’s great and we must do everything to accommodate those who love their pets however, you must make sure that you are not affected by the pet dander. Sometimes restaurants or businesses allow pets and the dander left behind may affect someone with Asthma. Be aware of such places and make sure that you know when you are beginning to have an attack so that you exit any place that may be harmful to your health.
Finally, we recommend that you look into a medical program on Asthma at the IMIC Medical Research Center office here in Palmetto Bay. Call 786-713-4733 to learn more or to make an appointment with one of our doctors regarding your breathing issues. For now, enjoy your life and breath easy knowing that you know you can call on us for help.